October 19, 2010

servant? to THEM? nuh-uh...

"Clean your room!"

"Do this!"

"Do that!"

"Get off of that computer!"

Do you get this kind of stuff from your parents? Well, I do. And sometimes, I just want to say "NO!" But obviously, I can't do that, 'cause I'd be grounded for the rest of my life.

Most of the time I do what they ask, but I don't want to. Sometimes I don't do it at all.

But there's a commandment - one from God. And it says to HONOR your parents.

Woah, woah wait. Rewind. HONOR? I just thought it was obey. Nope, He says to honor them. Proof? Okay:)

Exodus 20:5 - Honor your father and mother. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the Lord your God has given you.

According to my Mac's dictionary, honor means to have high respect for, cherish. We're supposed to listen to our parents, and do it gladly.

Okay, rewind again. GLADLY? Nooo. That commandment says NOTHING about being happy while honoring.

But this one does:)

Ephesians 6:7 - Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men...

So, if you were serving God, would you have a bad attitude about it?

I hope not. I love my God and wouldn't want Him to see that side of me. Which He does, but He shouldn't.

So...do you wanna take this challenge with me? It's going to be EXTREMELY hard. Believe me, I know that better than anybody.

But in order to serve my God with all my heart, I have to serve my parents.

And not just them. Everyone around me.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. I am always so speechless after your posts. I mean all I can really say is wow. I will take the challenge with you. For starters I think I am going to pray... allot. I will never be able to do this without God's help.

Buttercup said...

Such a great topic, Anna. Serving means to do something for someone else. But Christ-centered serving is serving with a smile. Serving out of love and care. You're right. Serving those who are close to you is sometimes hard - especially parents and siblings, particularly younger siblings. But as the Bible says: serve "as if you were serving the Lord, not men". Serving with a Christ-centered attitude, with our eyes on Him, makes all the difference in the world. Also, an encouraging verse for times when we are challenged: "I can do ALL things (even serve) through Christ who strengthens me." Through Christ, we can do anything - from moving a mountain, to humbling ourselves by washing each other's feet. -Buttercup

emii said...

I love your new welcome message at the top of the blog, it's cool as!:)
I'm ready to take up the challenge. Somtimes I just don't want to do what my parent's tell me, and I grumble all the way.


Dear God,
Please help me to do this challenge. Help me to honour my parents, and obey them -- and do it wholeheartedly!Iloveyou.
Amen.

Lily said...

Your posts are always incredible, Anna!!!

I to will do my best to do this challenge----obey God with all my heart means obeying my parents too.

Love,

Lily

Mouse and Magoo said...

Amen sista!

Anna, you and I are working on the same things.

You are an amazing writer.

In the One who made us,
Meghan Grace

Anonymous said...

I will take this challenge with you, Anna! It's actually pretty cool that you posted this because my most recent post is kinda about the same thing! :)

I love your blog!

In Christ,
Tessa Paige